Last time I promised to show the new beads coming out of this exercise, so here they are, only a month late.
One of the reasons it's taken me so long what looking at the other folks’ contributions I realized I needed individual shots of each bead for the page to be useful. This shows the only variation on the first ‘different’ bead: the flower is built on a hollow round instead of a solid cylinder. And of course, after I took the first batch of pix, I realized I didn't have any that shows what's different (the back) about this bead.
Of course, the rotten thing would pop on me. It popped right at the bottom of the bead, though, an ideal place if I wanted to string this bead up in a Y design. Too bad I can't usually control the holepops that tidily—or the camera, for that matter, which co-operated with this nice sharp image, even though I was shooting at only a 30th or so.
If I were really virtuous I would show both sides of this ugly bead too, ’cuz the center design is different on each (failed the first time, flipped the bead over and tried again.) It's not worth it. Here you see I reversed the twistie trailing putting it around the perimeter of the center instead of in the middle. 18mm thick x 41mm petal to petal.
Here I dumped the twistie altogether, and did a plunged dot instead. Yawn. Hollow bead 20x47mm (latter measurement petal to petal)
I wanted to make striped ribbon petal cane, using the transparent yellow to case white. That didn't work so well. Couldn't make free-standing petals, so I painted them on the glass. What a mess. Resorted to decorating the bead with twistie dots. This is a ‘I've totally lost control of the glass, the design, and the goal’ bead. 13mm hole to hole.
The upshot of all this is that I still have not learned to integrate these colors attractively in a bead, nor worked up a good sculptural petal design. I've also learned that putting these beads in the magnetic polisher, even at slow speeds, is probably not a good idea, since I managed to break petals off of two of them. I kinda liked the design interpreted in my 100-bead exercise colors, though. Now that I have all of April's exercise to do, not to mention completing my 100 bead exercise and—oh yes—customer requests—I'll get right back to it. (Sure.)
- First file in this series
- 100 beads exercise, file 1
- 100 beads exercise, file 2
- 100 beads exercise, open/negative space variations
sodalime beads, spring 2005. File originally created 02may05. Added summary & thumbnail, 04jan2020
Unless otherwise noted, text, image and objects depicted therein copyright 1996--present sylvus tarn.Sylvus Tarn