· r e j i q u a r · w o r k s ·
the various and sundry creations of sylvus tarn
Pink and brown drawstring bag
that sort of works...

This is an older piece, made about the same time as this, other similar design —that is, early in 2009. I was fairly happy with it till I yanked on one of the ribbon drawstrings and broke it. The problem, of course, was that I had done this very nice top-stitched casing with heavy thread (that was a pain, I'm sure)[1] that was really too narrow for my typical kumi.

drawstring pouch, line, appliqued, bead and machine embroidered. Probably made around January of 2009.

So I put it aside, and didn't really do anything about it until I started sorting through my applique WIPs when I got interested in bead embroidery again (July/August of 2015). I had this piece of pink and purple braid, made some time before 2004, lying around. And I had a strong desire to finish some of this old stuff.

This side shows more of the kumi.

As an ikat-style shifting pattern[2] kumi, it was a dismal failure. As something to co-ordinate with this pouch, it was perfect. After a month or so I finally found a big enough safety pin to thread it through the casing.


Of course, when the other ribbon breaks, I'll be out of luck, as I don't think there's space for another piece of kumi, even if I had one the right color.[3] But I've decided to cross that bridge when I come to it. In the meantime, the bag is a handy way to store a queued up disk kumi project.

[1]Probably had to bobbin wind the thread, frex...

[2]I think the word I'm looking for, actually is ‘kasuri’.

[3]Part of the reason I didn't do this years ago, I'm sure. Yeah, as I get older my standards are falling.