Studio trim
adding some texture

In 2003 we moved to a place where my studio no longer had to be in the basement. Yay. Of course, I had to arrange the new space to my taste, which I did (with a great deal of help from others) by ripping off the wallpaper, and then painting the walls and window trim. Meanwhile the wizard ripped out the carpet (a fire hazard)[1] and cursed a good deal while nevertheless doing a beautiful job installing ‘tap-tight’ flooring.

By late 2004 not only the shaft but the exhaust hood was installed, and I really liked the extra acanthus leaf decorative trim around it; besides, I wanted a high shelf for knicknacks. I got decorative narrow trim to cover the 2x2s on which this shelf rested:

This trim covers the supporting 2x2 between the tops of the east window trim and the shelf above. N.b.: exif date is 31dec2005 (Nikon8400); geequie, 15jan2006

I so liked the way the acanthus trim around the hood looked I decided to add it to perimeter of the ceiling. Unfortunately, that didn't work as well visually, but having put it up, up it has stayed.

Acanthus perimeter trim in progress. 08jan2006 (directory: 15jan2006)

It's kind of interesting that I never got around to posting these pictures when I first took them, but perhaps I wasn't comfortable enough with gimp back then to blur the check (it's nearly impossible to read in the original photograph, actually.) Or mebbe the somewhat crappy quality of the photography bothered me.

Perimeter trim in situ: 8jan2006.[2] I finished this page 13jan2020, and wouldn't you know, the snow on the ground looks exactly like that, though the cut stumps encircling the middle garden bed are mostly gone, remaining only as a few moss-covered lumps...

I enjoy posting the tidy studio photographs, but sometimes it's fun to document just how messy it can get, too. 14 years’ passing & a nostalgic mood help with that sentiment as well.

[1]When your studio involves dropping molten glass on the floor, that is—even if it didn't burn, it would produce toxic smoke.

[2]There's a handmade furnace glass my dear friend Page gave me filled with a collection of appropriately coloured blue-and-green beads, that sat...for years. Say, till 2018, when I finally poured the beads out, washed off the dust, & stuck the ones I still thought cool back in. Also note the back of the apothecary chest is still unpainted at this point. Hm. I should document that, at some point...