I made three pysanky this year: one each with curliques, triangles and circles. This post deals with the circle version. I did a couple of things differently than I have in the past: for one thing, I chose to color the eggs with Wilson cake decorating dyes (for the most part), with the hopes the dye would peel less and be more intense in color. I also forgot to dye the egg yellow before putting my first batch of patterns on it, which meant that the first pass yielded vary contrasty colors as a result.
The purple dye separated into red and and blue, at least in the water; attempting to get this effect deliberately, I mixed pink and golden yellow, and (surprise) got orange. C'est la vie.
Since the red looked more like a dark red orange, it's difficult to see the difference. And the pink is actually supposed to be purple, though it didn't set particularly well: soaking the eggs for a few seconds, as opposed for three minutes in each color, might leave more ‘uptake’ available for the later sequences. For some odd reason, the (green-based) black seemed to help set the purple a little, so I dipped the egg in that too. So there is a bit of purple, but not much... However, the remaining colors—yellow-orange, orange and pink—work together reasonably well. I put approximate a teaspoon of vinegar in each of the dyes (belatedly recalling that with aniline dyes, at least, this isn't supposed to be a good idea with some colors—red or yellow, I think...oh well), and who knows, maybe it helped. I made the dyes with“instant” hot water (that being handy), and I think this generally was a good decision.
At any rate, excepting for the place where I attempted to remove the wax with my fingernail, the colors didn't peel. Coming up: less felicitious color combinations, peeling color, and ideas for next time.
File created 20060416
Unless otherwise noted, text, image and objects depicted therein copyright 1996--present sylvus tarn.Sylvus Tarn