It's not even been a week, but let's see how much I remember...here's the base recipe, which I chose because I had plenty of grits, but very little cornmeal left, to go with the vegan chili adjacent soup I'd made.
cornbread with peppers, onion & cheese, baked in cast iron pan. I did increase the saturation some to make it look a) more appetizing but also, to be fair, b) more what I actually remember it looking like. Photographed 03spe2020.
- 1/2 C corn grits (coarsely ground corn meal)
- 1/2 C corn meal
- 1/2 C all-purpose white flour
- 1/2 C WW flour
- 1 T vinegar (&/or lime juice) added to make up
- 1 C (soured) milk (i.e. buttermilk)
- 1 t sugar
- 1.5 t baking powder
- 0.25 t baking soda
- 2 eggs (reduce to 1?)
- 2–4 T oil (reduce to 2T?)
- 1 C grated habanero cheddar
- 1/3 –1/2 C? finely chopped onion
- 1 finely minced hot pepper
- 1/3–1/2 C finely chopped sweet (mini) peppers
- 3–4 T butter
N.b. cheese and veges can easily add up to 2C
- add vinegar (and/or lime juice to milk to sour it. Or substitute yogurt and/or sour cream and/or soured, thinned whipping cream)
- preheat oven to 400F
- melt 3? T butter in cast iron pan
- mix dry ingredients
- add oil & eggs; beat in well
- add milk, milk
- add veges & cheese, mix just to distribute
- swirl melted butter onto sides of pan
- add batter
- bake until toothpick comes out clean (19 minutes in this case) and top is golden brown.
Edges should be browned and slightly crispy; edges has an overall slightly chewy texture behind the thin crust of burnt crispy butter bits—this is what made this version special.
Add'l notes: I didn't add the butter, and wouldn't’ve thought to use so much. It does make a lovely crust, so reduce oil in batter to bare minimum (2T), so butter can make up the crust. Dots of butter may have been put on top, like a pie-crust—this was a pretty rich variation.
think I mixed in some soured whipping cream, 1–2 T?
this was a nice hot one, and meant I didn't need to add any spices. Without it, I recommend some extra flavourings for additional kick.
Unless otherwise noted, text, image and objects depicted therein copyright 1996--present sylvus tarn.Sylvus Tarn